The following article was originally published by CNN. The importance of this article, although being published by bourgeois media, is the lack of evidence in which has been revealed. Throughout the mainstream press we’ve been given this story of a “mass grave” found with 1,200-1,700 human remains inside. Then we came to found out that the so-called “mass grave” hasn’t even been excavated yet, let alone an autopsy for all the remains (yet-to-be) found. And now, as CNN reports below, all that has been found, as of yet, are animal bones. So much for the “mass grave” of dead Abu Salim prisoners.
The “mass grave” story is so crucial to the Libyan rebels because it would be the only evidence of a so-called “1996 massacre at Abu Salim prison.” No evidence has been recovered of such an event, and has only been promoted by the opposition of Gaddafi’s leadership, the Western imperialist nations and their propaganda media network – this also includes the various NGO’s that operate under the interests of Western capitalism/imperialism. Without the grave site, there is no evidence of a massacre:
September 26, 2011
Tripoli, Libya (CNN) — Officials with Libya’s transitional government announced Sunday they have located a site they suspect is a mass grave, although no excavation has taken place and no human remains have been found.
The Tripoli site was located by revolutionaries on August 20, said Kamal el Sherif, a member of a National Transitional Council committee. The NTC claims the grave may hold 1,270 bodies, victims of a 1996 massacre at Tripoli’s Abu Salim prison.
A CNN team was brought to the site, a muddy field, with other media, and found only what appeared to be animal bones.
The NTC committee called on international governments for help.
“There is a lot more to be done to reach the actual truth of this massacre,” said Dr. Salem Fergani, a committee member. “To be honest, we were not prepared to deal with such human massacres, so we request the assistance of the international community. We need specialists in the field to help us in identifying the victims … this is a national mission. The families of these victims have the right to learn the truth about their deceased sons.”
“We will only start digging the grave when the team is fully intact with the proper team of experts, consultants and forensic teams,” said Abdul Wahad Gady, a member of the military council and committee in charge of the site. “So far we have not received any response from international agencies regarding support to our mission. We will announce the excavation in due time.”
Former guards at the prison cooperated in helping find the grave and provide details of the massacre, said Gady. He said he is a former prisoner who was at Abu Salim when the deaths took place.
The bones are scattered around an area with about a 100-meter radius, Fergani said. Members of the media were taken to the site on Sunday. Family members of the Abu Salim victims also turned up at the site.
On June 28, 1996, prisoners rioting over poor conditions and restricted family visits seized a guard and escaped from their cells.
“Five or seven minutes after it started, the guards on the roofs shot at the prisoners who were in the open areas,” former prisoner Hussein Shafei told Human Rights Watch in an interview years later.
Security officials ordered the shooting to stop and feigned negotiations, he told the organization. But officials instead called in firing squads to gun down the prisoners.
After the inmates agreed to return to their cells, they were taken to prison outdoor areas, blindfolded, handcuffed, and shot.
At first, said Gady, the bodies were buried inside the prison walls, but moved outside the walls in 1999.
The government of ousted Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi did not acknowledge the killings and denied any crime had taken place. Some families filed a complaint against the government in 2007, Human Rights Watch said, and Gadhafi’s government offered them compensation in exchange for their silence.
The families refused, calling it a bribe, and instead began holding protests each Saturday in Benghazi, one of the spots where the Libyan unrest began this year.
It could take years to identify all the bodies through DNA, Fergani said Sunday.